Walbridge Addition Design Highlights:
- The building increases in size from 4,000 to 8,000 square feet to allow more space for technology, people, and classes/events.
- The new addition is where people gather (like in a train station).
- The area dedicated for children’s collections and activities nearly doubles.
- The new building has two “front” facades . . . along Main Street and also facing north into the Park. A new front entrance at the northwest corner serves as a focal point.
- The number of computer stations increases from 5 to 12.
- The meeting room and restrooms can be partitioned from the rest of the building to allow for usage when the library is closed.
- The north façade is covered with many large windows to allow for natural light and to also connect the building to the Park.
- Restrooms are now ADA compliant.
- The meeting room includes seating for 80, a catering kitchen, and technology for Skyping with authors, training, presentations, etc.
- ADA parking will be added near the new rear entrance.
- There are more chairs for comfortable seating and more tables for homework/studying.
- New LED lighting throughout the entire building, along with new efficient heating and cooling systems, allow for greater energy savings.
- A new “through-the-wall” walk-up book-droap allows for better protection of library materials from snow and rain.
- Windows in the original building are increased in size to allow for more natural lighting.
- An extra-wide sidewalk (or terrace) along the north side near the Park will allow for outdoor activity.
Preliminary design plans for the new addition: