Reference Librarian (part-time)
WCDPL is seeking an outgoing individual to deliver high-quality library services to patrons of all ages and backgrounds. You are skilled in conducting research, and respected for your ability to connect patrons with library services and resources through programs and events.
You are a natural host and helper, knowledgeable on all library operations:
- You share your passion for books and reading by recommending the latest books, movies and music. You are an avid reader who loves to re-read classics, read new titles, and enthusiastically share these reading experiences with patrons.
- You are an explorer; you are out on the floor with patrons as they journey through the library. You do not hide behind a desk.
- You help customers sign up for a library program, find materials, use the 3-D printer, search a reference database, download e-books, and so much more.
- You are a good listener with lots of patience.
- You are a team player and think quickly on your feet, juggling multiple tasks at once.
- You serve as host, role model, and safety monitor – you maintain a safe environment for all those visiting the library. You enforce rules and the Code of Conduct.
- You are a wizard at teaching patrons to use technology, from apps to ebooks to databases.
- You design and implement library events and learning opportunities that create transformative experiences for adults. You can implement an engaging book discussion, create a new finding tool for the science fiction collection, and deliver an intriguing program for adults – all in record time and while covering a busy service desk.
- In front of a group or working 1-on-1, you are a natural-born teacher. You are NOT shy.\
Requirements: bachelor’s degree; successful customer service experience; strong technology skills; strong research skills, and broad reading knowledge of literature for adults.
- 20.0 hours per week, including weekday, evening, and weekend shifts.
- Works at the Information Desk in BG; fills-in at other departments/locations as needed.
- $15.00/hour to $16.10/hour DOE
To apply: Submit a detailed letter of interest explaining why you are the best candidate to meet this library need, an updated resume, a completed WCDPL application (available at wcdpl.org/employment), and the names/contact information for three work-related references via email to AngieBabcock@wcdpl.org.
Comprehensive criminal background check and passage of drug test required for finalist.
Open until filled. Review of applications begins immediately. Equal Opportunity Employer.
No inquiries please; applicants notified of status as search progresses.
Maintenance Assistant (full-time)
The WCDPL Maintenance Department is responsible for ensuring that all library buildings and their components, grounds, parking lots, vehicles, furnishings, equipment, and program venues are clean, safe, functioning properly, and are ready for use by library patrons and staff. Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the Maintenance Assistant performs a variety of routine-to-skilled maintenance duties referenced below under Essential Duties.
Full-time position (37.5 hours per week) with:
- Hiring range of $15.00 to $17.00 per hour, based on experience
- Benefits include: OPERS retirement; health insurance (library pays 80% of premium for employee & 50% for spouse/family), dental insurance (library pays 80% of premium for employee), vision insurance (library pays 50% of premium for employee), & life insurance; deductible reimbursement plan; flexible spending account; paid holiday, vacation, & sick time.
- Schedule: weekdays 7am to 3pm, with 2-4 evening/weekend shifts per month to support events.
- Completion of high school diploma or GED.
- One (1) year experience performing maintenance tasks in an employment setting.
- Positive work history as part of a team.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, following required safety procedures.
- Valid driver’s license, insurable, & possess own vehicle to travel to work sites.
- Ability to pass a detailed background check and a drug test.
Essential Duties (list is not all-inclusive):
- Assumes lead role in performing daily cleaning tasks (30% of the time) including cleaning and stocking restrooms; sweeps, vacuums, mops, scrubs, waxes floors; dusts, washes, disinfects, polishes furniture & surfaces; empties and cleans waste and recycling receptacles; delivers recycling; washes windows; cleans breakroom; assists staff in cleaning their offices; etc. Alerts supervisor when supplies need to be ordered or equipment needs to be repaired or replaced.
- Assumes lead role in performing landscaping (mowing, weeding, planting, pruning, etc.) and snow/ice removal tasks (30% of time).
- As assigned, performs scheduled and unscheduled repair work (20% of the time) in a safe, timely, effective, and efficient manner involving noncomplex construction, carpentry, mechanical, plumbing, electrical, small engine, and basic vehicle maintenance skills with priority given to patron/staff comfort & safety.
- Assists and actively supports all library staff in ensuring venues are ready for library events and programs (15% of time) including: moving/setting-up tables, chairs, AV equipment, etc. Assembles, disassembles, and relocates shelving, decorations, and furniture. Moves boxes of books.
- Responds, as part of a call list, to alarm incidents 24/7.
- Required to safely lift, push, pull, and carry heavy objects (60 pounds or more) such as ladders, tables, chairs, boxes of books, etc.; to reach, bend, or stand for long periods of time; to climb ladders; to push or pull loaded book carts; etc.
- Operates hand and power tools and equipment in a safe manner at all times.
- Transports and delivers materials and equipment between various locations.
- Performs any and all other duties as assigned or directed in order to promote and ensure the effective and efficient operation of the Wood County District Public Library. Interacts with library vendors, volunteers, staff, and patrons in a way that best represents the library’s vision, mission, and core values. Requires sound judgement and decision-making at all times.
To apply, submit a detailed cover letter, a current resume, and a completed job application (available at https://wcdpl.org/Employment) to: Maintenance Assistant Search, Wood County District Public Library, 251 N Main St, Bowling Green, OH 43402 or email to AngieBabcock@wcdpl.org.
Review of applications begins immediately. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please no calls or inquiries; applicants notified of search status as decisions are made.
Wood County District Public Library is an equal opportunity employer.
Employment applications may be downloaded from the attachment below.
Applications are kept on file for 6 months and reviewed as openings occur.